Today’s advice is about money! To see more advice pieces, you can go to: http://opinionproject.tumblr.com/
- My first piece of advice is of course is to save!
- If you took out loans, start paying back as soon as you can, don’t continue to put it off. I paid off my undergrad loan in 5 years, grant it that was a different time. It can be done if you are consistent in your payments.
- Discuss salary only when you know you have the job and don’t bring it up first.
- Don’t make money your soul objective or reason for getting a job. Do what you love.
- Do research on what the salary is in your field and have a range that you are willing to negotiate with. Make the negotiation a conversation about your needs and the employers need. Know your worth! Be assertive, not aggressive!
- Set a budget and stick to it! Use your credit card wisely! Have one for emergencies only and designate what an “emergency” is for you, mine is usually concert tickets 🙂
- Don’t spend more than you earn.
- Splurge every once in a while on a movie or something you really want.
- Don’t blow your first big paycheck because life happens and you will need it.
- Plan for emergencies with rainy day money.
- Learn to comparison shop and look for the best deal
- Coupons can be your best friend.
Have fun! I know this is a random list, but its things I wish I would have been told after my first job. Money makes the world go round and if you use it wisely, it will work for you.